Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield |
|
|
Online Learning News and Research
Online Learning Update HOME Times and Dates Coordinated Universal TimeSearch Online Learning Blog Archives
|
Monday, April 12, 2010
Online learning courses expand opportunities for high-achieving students - Alison Black, MLive
“Ten years ago, people were saying, ‘What do you mean, you want to teach a class online?’” MVS representative Tim Lewis said.Today’s students are more tech-savvy than ever, and many want access to advanced courses that strengthen their minds and their transcripts, Lewis said. “Many times, schools may not offer all the courses in a certain area — AP Statistics is a good example,” Lewis said. “
Comments:
This article focuses on "gifted" students, but the reality is, and I am saddened that the writer, and the quotes from "educators", do not give credence to alternate styles and the differences in individuals in regards to HOW they learn. It is as if the "gifted" students get the pass to online learning while the other students are not smart enough. We all learn differently. I did not graduate high school, not because I was not "gifted" but I HATED classroom learning and still do. I missed alot of high school also due to family issues, but I managed to become a paramedic in my teens in Los Angeles County, make it through med school and now, for teaching purposes, I am pursuing a PhD - ONLINE. But due to my grades back in high school (when we didn't have online learning anyway yet) I would not today be "gifted". I do have a genius IQ, and have made my path as above in regards to my education. So...we miss alot of smart kids, or those who do not learn well in the classroom, but may learn well from reading on their own (that's me...give me the book or the powerpoint lecture papers that are simply repeated.) And adults? We "learn to learn".
Post a Comment
Some years ago when I was on faculty in Health Sciences at a state university we had many older adults and teens mixed in our programs. We had tracked reading levels for years but had not set a defined entrance "level". Then they decided to set that level (pretty arbitrarilly I may add). I asked my department to let me research this first as my hunch said the older students - with the classically lowest scores in reading - were passing the class. I student 3 years worth of data and I was right. The older the student, the more likely to pass even thought they had lowest test scores in reading! I recall, and I have the paper before me now, that the top 5 reading scorers over three years ALL dropped out. Didn't make it! Older studentsw have learned to adapt and like I said "Learned to Learn!" Online Learning News Blog Archives OTEL - Ray's Home Page - Notebook - UIS Online - U of I Online - UIS Home Fair Use
|