Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Monday, August 17, 2009
Online Learning: The Sound of One Hand Clicking - Karen Breslau, Newsweek
Luis Figueroa lives down the street from UC Merced, the newest campus in the University of California system. So it's not surprising that the 21-year-old studies from the comfort of his own home. But he's not enrolled at Merced: from his living-room computer, Figueroa is earning his bachelor's degree in business administration at Columbia College in Missouri, some 2,000 miles away. At $630 per course—about $1,800 per semester—his online degree will cost far less than even in-state tuition at UC. Not only that, Figueroa is able to continue working full time in a management-training job with AT&T in Merced, a job he feels lucky to have in the current economic climate. "Once I realized I had time constraints, I knew the traditional classroom wouldn't work," he says. "Courses online are open 24 hours a day, and I'm able to go there any time I want."

 



Comments: Post a Comment


Fair Use