Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield |
|
|
Online Learning News and Research
Online Learning Update HOME Times and Dates Coordinated Universal TimeSearch Online Learning Blog Archives
|
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Some Thoughts on Free Textbooks - Robert Stewart, EDUCAUSE Review
I publish and freely distribute three online textbooks. Introduction to Physical Oceanography is available as a typeset book in Portable Document Format (PDF) or as web pages. Our Ocean Planet: Oceanography in the 21st Century and Environmental Science in the 21st Century are both available as web pages. All three books, which can be accessed from the Ocean World website (http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/index.html), are widely used by professors and students throughout the world. The Physical Oceanography textbook has become especially popular and has been translated into Portuguese and Italian and partly into Russian. Thus, I am frequently asked why I make my textbooks available for free and why I avoided the traditional route to publication through commercial publishers, thereby giving up the royalties I could have earned from printed textbooks. I have several answers.
Comments:
Post a Comment
Online Learning News Blog Archives OTEL - Ray's Home Page - Notebook - UIS Online - U of I Online - UIS Home Fair Use
|