Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Friday, January 09, 2009
A new frontier of online learning in Minnesota - JENNA ROSS, Star Tribune
State-run colleges hope to be 25 percent online by 2015. But there are many factors in the push for more classes.On a trip around the state, Gov. Tim Pawlenty laid out a new goal: By 2015, students in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system would earn 25 percent of their credits online.... A significant chunk of the people who take online courses do so because life -- work, children, distance -- makes it difficult to be on campus from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Friday. "I couldn't tell you how many times, traveling around the state, I had people come up to me and say, 'I've got a full-time job, I'm raising two kids, and we sit around the kitchen table with my kids and we all do our homework,'" said Mn- SCU's Olson, who is also president of the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce. Providing options to help them upgrade their skills or finish degrees is particularly important in today's economy, he said.

 



Comments: Post a Comment


Fair Use