Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Up the Down Escalator: A Case Study for an Online learning Course - Lisa Neal Gualtieri, eLearn Magazine
The first escalators were installed in Coney Island, New York and London's Harrods department store in the late 1800s. My earliest memory of escalators is of going up the down escalator with my brother in Filene's department store in downtown Boston. Many of the estimated 50,000 escalators in the U.S. are aging, including, undoubtedly, the ones my brother and I played on. So there is a need for engineers to understand how escalators built more than 20 years ago can be updated, renovated, or replaced. And that's where e-learning comes in, to provide this education. My hobby, taking free online courses, is one that I don't indulge in often. It is arguably the best way to sample and evaluate e-learning design. It has the added benefit that I can learn fascinating things that increase my ability to make small talk at parties. But the course on escalators left me thinking about what constitutes a real online course.

 



Comments:
Hi Ray,

Does this mean you found my column insightful?

Please write for eLearn again!

Lisa
 
Lisa-

A great column! I really appreciate your insights and the sometimes off-beat path on which you take us, your readers. This column elevated (escalated) us to take a panoramic view of the potential for creating less formal (but, not less impactful) learning opportunities on the Web.

I'll be thinking about this for some time to come.

ray
 
Post a Comment


Fair Use