Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield |
|
|
Online Learning News and Research
Online Learning Update HOME Times and Dates Coordinated Universal TimeSearch Online Learning Blog Archives
|
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Drexel University Online Students Break Ground As the First to Defend "Real World" Degrees in Second Life
Students in Drexel Online master's in higher education program made their mark in history by becoming the first in higher education to defend their thesis virtually through the popular social networking site Second Life. The first of six students held their master's defense in Second Life on June 5th and four more students are scheduled during the week of June 9th, 2008. Shawn Brown, of Cleveland, Ohio, was the first student in the online master's program to defend his thesis in Second Life. "I was intrigued by conducting my defense in a virtual world as if I was presenting in a live classroom. It worked, and the format was not distracting. I presented for about 40 minutes, and I was completely focused on my research and findings. I took questions from my committee and being in Second Life didn't inhibit any part of the presentation," said Brown.
Comments:
Post a Comment
Online Learning News Blog Archives OTEL - Ray's Home Page - Notebook - UIS Online - U of I Online - UIS Home Fair Use
|