Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield |
|
|
Online Learning News and Research
Online Learning Update HOME Times and Dates Coordinated Universal TimeSearch Online Learning Blog Archives
|
Friday, June 22, 2007
A high school with more clicks than cliques - Mitchell Landsberg, LA Times
As an alpha nerd, Harper Robertson naturally thinks her high school is kickwump — a word her class coined. She wouldn't be prouder if it had the top-ranked football team on planet Earth, which it most decidedly doesn't and never will. "I knew I was going to a nerdy high school when I realized that the only elective was Java programming," she said. If you could set foot on Harper's campus — you can't — you'd see what she loves about it. It's a school for teens who never fit into the traditional classroom because they were too high-achieving, too driven, too intellectually curious or all of the above; youths who were lumped under the general heading of "gifted," although the gift didn't always come with instructions for assembly.
Comments:
Post a Comment
Online Learning News Blog Archives OTEL - Ray's Home Page - Notebook - UIS Online - U of I Online - UIS Home Fair Use
|