Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield |
|
|
Online Learning News and Research
Online Learning Update HOME Times and Dates Coordinated Universal TimeSearch Online Learning Blog Archives
|
Saturday, April 21, 2007
Online studies on the rise - DAVID CHILTON, Tornoto SUN
For the last 12 months Joanne Andrew has lived in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates -- and studied towards a certificate in Technical Writing at Humber College in Toronto. Of course, such a vast distance and an eight-hour time difference make for a lousy commute, so Andrew did what 11,500 Humber students did last year: she enrolled to study online. "Online is a perfect medium for me," she says from her home in the Persian Gulf. Andrew, a Torontonian, moved to Dubai when her husband's job took him there. Janis Miller, dean of corporate and continuing education at Humber, says the college showed 23% growth in online course delivery last year. There are 250 courses and 30 certificate programs already available to students online, Miller says, but she doesn't expect the college to stop there. She points out that Humber offers more than 1,500 courses and predicts that at some point 30 to 40% of them will go online.
Comments:
I am happy to see that a move half-way around the world has worked out so well for somebody. I don't think, however, that it would have worked for me, for example, as a graduate student at UIS. Even though I know that there has been an increase in classes ffered online here, I do not think that it is possible to complete a whole program's requirements without actually physically attending the university. And it is fine with me, for if I wanted online education, there would have been other options for me, like University of Phoenix, for example.
Karina-
Post a Comment
Good to see your thoughts on this. I disagree. In programs such as ours where the very same faculty members who teach the on campus classes are teaching the online classes (and individually measuring learning outcomes of each against the other), we are able to best affirm the learning that takes place online. Of course, for many, attending a university in person is not an option. Among the 1,000 students enrolled in online degree programs at UIS are many who simply do not have access to quality faculty and curricula in their community or outside their work schedule. The degree completion rate at the University of Phoenix has been reported by the NY Times as very, very low. They employ very few faculty members with traditional academic credentials. I am not sure that UoP is the best option. Those traditional universities, such as UIS, who have the same faculty members teaching online as teach on campus, offer a solid foundation for quality learning and a measure against which their classes may be evaluated. Nevertheless, if one has the time and money, of course I would encourage a prospective student to leave their career, move their family onto a campus, and immerse themselves in study at a traditional university. For who do not have this option, I think online learning at a university such as UIS provides a high-quality alternative. ray Online Learning News Blog Archives OTEL - Ray's Home Page - Notebook - UIS Online - U of I Online - UIS Home Fair Use
|