Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Thinking Spatially: New Literacy, Museums, and the Academy - John Weber, EDUCAUSE
Review: Two thought-provoking recent columns in the New Horizons department of this magazine, one column written by Susan E. Metros and Kristina Woolsey (May/June 2006) and another by Jurgen Faust (September/October 2006), both addressed the question of visual literacy and new-media literacy amid the changing landscape of technology in higher education. I would like to talk about the same thing, but from the viewpoint of a newly arrived immigrant to the academy from the world of art museums. I agree with most of what these authors wrote, and I urge anyone reading this to reread those articles, especially because I'm shaping this column as a bloggish response to their ideas. In particular, I want to point to some intriguing spatial issues that lurk beneath the surface of the debate about visual literacy, new literacy, and the academy, mulling on the literal and figurative space occupied and defined by new-media, new-technology literacy. Whatever it is, that space is not like the space of the printed text, the fifty-five-minute lecture, or even the feature film. To the extent that this is not grasped, it may be difficult to argue for and create a place for the teaching of this new literacy within the existing space of higher education.

 



Comments: Post a Comment


Fair Use