Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Friday, October 06, 2006
A salute to distance learning - STEPHANIE EARLS, Albany Times Union
It was January, and Marine Cpl. Brandon Mitchell of Queensbury was preparing to fly back from western Iraq, where he had been deployed for a year. He was heading home, to a stateside stint at a base in North Carolina. And he was heading straight to college -- through the State University of New York's online arm, Empire State College. But at the last minute, he got bumped from his flight and found out he'd be spending another few weeks in the Middle East. Mitchell decided to go ahead and start school. "That way, when I got back, I'd be able to start right away," said the 21-year-old. "The school was very understanding. I wasn't even home yet, and I didn't have the best computer access. They were more than willing to work with me." Flexibility is the key to making it possible for servicemen and women to pursue college degrees -- whether they are stationed in the United States or overseas, or deployed in active war zones. This latitude is something that distance-learning courses -- once called "correspondence courses" -- can offer.

 



Comments: Post a Comment


Fair Use