Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield |
|
|
Online Learning News and Research
Online Learning Update HOME Times and Dates Coordinated Universal TimeSearch Online Learning Blog Archives
|
Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Online learners Students, teachers take advantage of more flexible options - MELISSA GARZANELLI, The Times
Rick Tunget wants to earn a degree, but getting to class is tough when he needs to provide for his family. "I'm a union carpenter but I might not be able to do this until the day I die," said the 41-year-old rural Marseilles man. Tunget began working toward a degree in environmental studies with the hopes of eventually working with municipal development -- a career he plans to pursue later in life. While he was able to take the time off work to begin college classes at Illinois Valley Community College last semester, he will start working the planned shutdowns at regional nuclear plants later this month in order to earn a living."I can't make it to class on time," he said of his upcoming schedule. Instead of putting his degree on the back burner, Tunget decided to try an online course this semester at IVCC.
Comments:
Post a Comment
Online Learning News Blog Archives OTEL - Ray's Home Page - Notebook - UIS Online - U of I Online - UIS Home Fair Use
|