Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Monday, November 28, 2005
Online learning just for fun of it - Lisa M. Sodders, L.A. Daily News
With an hourlong commute between her home in Santa Clarita and her job in North Hollywood, Dove Simmons didn't have time to take the night class she wanted at Los Angeles Valley College. It was just a not-for-credit class - she already has a bachelor's degree and a good job as an executive assistant at a private school - but she still didn't want to take the chance that a long day at the office would make her miss class. "I have taken classes on campus at Valley College; I took German strictly for fun, which was great," said Simmons, 35. "But I feel guilty if I have to stay at work and e-mail my professor and say, 'I can't make it to class.' "If it's just for a hobby, you don't want to add more stress to your life." For that reason, Simmons and others have turned to the Internet for courses - both for-credit and community extension classes - that help them improve their job skills, manage their money or even pick a new career.

 



Comments: Post a Comment


Fair Use