Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Tuesday, November 02, 2004
Clark Aldrich’s Six Criteria of an Educational Simulation - Learning Circuits

The more I build, evaluate, and discuss educational simulations, the more I realize we need to establish some better terms. Specifically, there are six criteria that are emerging as critical, and ultimately not just to simulations but all educational experiences. We are most familiar with [the first] linear content. Here we present learners with inevitable sequences, with one event or step following the next. Striking a match produces fire. World War I came before World War II. Systems Content The second type of content deals with systems. Here, users are exposed to formal, complex, intertwined relationships. This includes all of the components of the system and how those components impact each other. Systems content is more accurate than linear, but where linear works, stick with it.

 



Comments: Post a Comment


Fair Use