Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Tuesday, October 05, 2004
It's Only My Opinion: Technology is the Tool, Not the Answer - Michelle Gamble-Risley, Center for Digital Education

It has been my belief that every student and teacher deserved to have the same advantages in the classroom as any worker in the workplace. If we were going to ask modern workers, for example, to do research using the Internet, why then would we not provide a computer for students to learn to do the same thing? After all, part of the education process is to prepare students for the real world, and few of today's workers go to the library to do the research when they have Google at their fingertips. I have never believed that computers were the panacea to solve the student achievement problems. While many pundits debated the value of a reduced student-to-computer ratio and the benefits of connectivity and Internet access, I have supported this theory; but I don't subscribe to the idea it would solve all of our problems. I always saw technology as a tool much like a pencil and paper never in the position to usurp the value of the teacher and his or her commitment to teaching. I also never felt that technology took the place of teaching students the basic -- reading, writing and mathematics.

 



Comments: Post a Comment


Fair Use