Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield |
|
|
Online Learning News and Research
Online Learning Update HOME Times and Dates Coordinated Universal TimeSearch Online Learning Blog Archives
|
Sunday, October 10, 2004
The Future of Learning Technologies: An Interview with Chris Dede by James Morrison, Innovate Online
I define learning technologies quite broadly. For example, cell phones can be a learning technology. With the right software, handheld Game Boy devices and other types of entertainment consoles can be learning technologies. My work focuses on information technologies that apply to education—devices that allow users to customize their access to information as they make decisions in an inquiry process. I would not dispute that a blackboard is a learning technology, but it is not the kind of artifact on which I focus my research. My fundamental interest is in how emerging technologies expand human capabilities for knowledge creation, sharing, and mastery, so I am most interested in the learning technologies that lend themselves to complex data manipulation, intensive collaboration, and robust archives. Today, we have an extraordinary menu of technologies that range from massively multiplayer Internet games to various types of handheld devices, and some of them are well-suited for immersive learning environments.
Comments:
Post a Comment
Online Learning News Blog Archives OTEL - Ray's Home Page - Notebook - UIS Online - U of I Online - UIS Home Fair Use
|