Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Thursday, September 09, 2004
Debate rages between on-line versus classroom - Elizabeth Wilson, Paulo Verde Times

Judging by recent news coverage, online learning seems to be all the rage right now — that is to say, at least the controversy keeps raging. Over the summer I’ve read a flurry of pieces, some supporting e-learning, others crying out against it.... It seems that many people have already made up their minds about online education, and they fall into one of two very separate camps. While I guess this isn’t surprising, I find it unfortunate, because if the Internet has done anything for us in the last 10 years, it’s opened our minds. Through it we’ve learned about the world-culture, science, news, art-not to mention that on the Web we can work and play, find religion, pursue a career and order a pizza. In the last decade, we’ve seen the literal melding of virtual and reality. So I have to wonder: why isn’t the same thing happening in our schools? Currently, Arizona parents have to choose between online schools and traditional ones, and we’re expending a whole lot of energy debating which is better. Why?



 



Comments: Post a Comment


Fair Use