Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Sunday, March 07, 2004
Degrees of separation - Nicole Manktelow, The Age Australia

There are no easy answers for teaching online - it can either bridge vast distances or make students feel even more isolated. Ian, a postgraduate student, took his first online subject last year. He logged in ready for class, but no one else turned up. For the rest of the semester Ian was the only member of his marketing class ever to post questions to the website and communicate online with the lecturer. "I was starting to think I must be stupid if I was the only one who was asking questions," says Ian, who is general manager of sales for a biomedical supplier. He studies externally via Central Queensland University. There was a chat room set up, but when I went there, there was no one home."

 



Comments: Post a Comment


Fair Use