Online Learning Update Ray Schroeder, editor, COLRS - Online@Illinois Springfield

Online Learning Update - a blog published daily since 2001 by Ray Schroeder, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois at Springfield

Monday, November 11, 2002
Using Construction Kits, Modeling Tools and System Dynamics Simulations to Support Collaborative Discovery Learning by Marcelo Milrad

ABSTRACT: In this paper I present my efforts in exploring new ways for designing innovative pedagogical scenarios to support learning about complex domains. My efforts involve the design of interactive learning environments (ILE) to integrate systems supporting alternative ways of interaction with simulations with an emphasis upon support for shared interaction to mediate social aspects of learning, knowledge construction, reflection and design. I will illustrate a particular ILE that has been developed using new IT approaches and computational tools to foster scientific experimentation, modeling and simulation in distributed and collaborative settings. Furthermore, I will present some preliminary results in which I describe how undergraduate students in Computer Science have been using and interacting with this particular ILE during a course called "Computers and Learning".

 



Comments: Post a Comment


Fair Use